Thursday, April 9, 2009

Letting It All Hang Out

Everyone with a sustainability blog has already posted about hanging the laundry, so what's one more? We all know it saves money, is more "green," lowers carbon footprint, etc. I'm not going to try to educate any of you on the hows and whys. You have likely already figured that out.

There are few household chores that I enjoy, but hanging laundry outside is my favorite. From the time I was assigned to do that chore while growing up, to now, in my own home, I have always found the act of hanging laundry to be meditative. During nice weather, when the sun is shining, a light breeze is blowing, the repetitive act of picking up a piece of clothing and clipping it to the line, go to the next garment, repeating over and over again is an escape. Yes, an escape of the mind from everyday thoughts. Only hours of working in the garden further shut the world out for me. I stand in one place, clipping the clothes to the line, spinning the rotary frame to the next of the four sides, until all the clothes are hanging and swaying in the breeze. Breathe in, breathe out, smelling fresh air, feeling the warmth of the sun, hearing the wind whispering through the trees, birds singing.

When the clothes are dry and off the line, I get to enjoy the fresh scent of the outdoors on clothes, and sheets, if it's a sheet washing day. It is wonderful to slip into bed at then end of a long day and smell the fresh scent of nature as I drift off to sleep(likely an exhausted sleep on a weekend day, having worked outdoors if it's any season other than winter). Breathe in, breathe out, drift to slumber.

No comments: