Monday, April 20, 2009

Peas, Glorious Peas


Pea plants, that is. I planted a bed of peas on February 15 with my Earthway Seeder. The seeder saves a lot of time and backbreaking effort when planting large quantities of seeds. The pea patch is about three feet by 15 or 20 feet long. The plants are growing nicely and are about 18 inches high. Just saw some blossoms starting to form. Fresh peas are delicious. I still have some in the freezer from last year.

The rear-tine roto-tiller we picked up on Craigslist is repaired (belt was dry-rotted and snapped on the first use but the engine runs great). Looking forward to getting some new beds tilled. Yes, the lasagna method of building new beds is great (have used it many time and continue to use it), but I have a very large yard, work 40+ hours a week at my job, so I'm willing to use machines to get the big jobs done. I have the skills and the tools (gotta love that Craigslist) to work by hand should that need ever arise, but I prefer to use my time to the greatest advantage. No apologies on not wanting to make things excessively hard on myself. I'm also not 20 years old. ;)

No comments: